Monday, July 12, 2010

After the first week

I arrived in New York City luckily with a great contact. She let me stay at her place while I looked for an apartment. If I have any advice for the future P55ers, it is to have a good amount of money saved before you arrive to the city. Costs for a deposit and first months rent can add up and unless you have that money saved you cannot move forward.

I found an apartment in Astoria and loved the location because it was close to work. It was not the best apartment I had seen, but it suited my needs. Make sure you know what your needs are before you start looking for an apartment. What is a priority for you? Is it the nice view or the proximity to work? Is it the big kitchen or the low rent? What about the neighborhood? What do other tenants say about the apartment building and the tenant. These are all things that one should consider. It is not only about searching but also looking for what you want.

My first week at work was good. For me, no one really sits down and tells you what to do so it is good to get in contact with the previous fellow before you start to get a refresher on current projects. I talked to Navin and he told me about the projects he was working on, which made it easier for me to move forward on the job.

I love my time in the clinic called Settlement Health. Working with patients reminds me of my time as a volunteer at a hospital in Texas. My supervisor there Beth is great and often checks in with me to make sure things are going well. She is going to provide me with some books to read about children with mental illnesses. I try to keep the positive energy going despite the confusion and minor setbacks and it has made all the difference.

Today, I started my second week and I feel comfortable here. I asked a coworker to lunch and she said yes! Just be open and friendly and things will start to happen.

No comments: