Monday, July 26, 2010

Orienting Myself

I moved to New York City about 2 and half weeks ago and so far, I have loved every minute of it. On the weekends, I have had the time to explore both my neighborhood of Harlem and areas of the city that are new to me. For example, I very recently stumbled upon the South Street Seaport, a place filled with great shops, but more importantly a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge. I am hoping that these random walks will eventually allow me to build a better mental map of the city.



Working at Prep for Prep so far has been great. As a post-placement counselor, I will be in charge of meeting with Prep students on a one-on-one basis to ensure that they are succeeding in their new schools. Because the vast majority of the students are on summer break at the moment, I have not yet had the opportunity to interact with many students. Instead, all of us new post-placement counselors have been immersed in extensive training. I feel so fortunate that my organization has taken the time to teach me as much as possible before I actually hit the ground running. I am hopeful that all this preparation will allow me to better understand and relate to some of the youth I will be working with very soon.

No comments: