Monday, July 12, 2010

Just building some character

Today was my very first day working at the Character Education Partnership in D.C. and it was awesome! Everyone is so friendly and helpful and they've really made an effort to make me feel at home. Our executive director, who's on vacation this week, even called to personally welcome me to the office, which just goes to show how wonderful the organization is.

As for D.C., I absolutely love it so far though I've definitely gotten lost trying to find fairly basic places my fair share of times. My normal plan of attack is to get out of a metro, really any metro, and just start walking until I see something I recognize. These adventures have typically ended with me in one of the nation's capital's many CVS pharmacies, buying Band-Aids for my blisters and asking any random passers-by where the nearest metro is so I can get back home and vow never to wander again. I can't even disguise my touristy-ness with the fact that I actually do work her because I haven't yet bought the nice metro Smartcard or whatever it's called so anyone behind me on their way to work/home is forced to watch and wait as I struggle to make my creased Metrocard flat enough for the scanner to read it and let me through.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to working at CEP and to hearing about all the other fellows' adventures!! Hope everyone has a great first month!

No comments: