Tuesday, July 13, 2010

First week in DC

I started work at EDF (Environmental Defense Fund) last Thursday, right after moving in on Wednesday in 104 degrees! It would have been nice to have some more time to settle in, but the two-day week was a good idea in general. I got a lot of administrative and setup things out of the way. My first real week is going well so far and I've launched into my first project which has to do with comparing lists of SVHC (substance of very high concern) in the EU with chemicals manufactured and imported in the US (scary conclusions).

This past weekend gave me some good ideas for tips for people just moving in:
1) Locate your fuse box and buy fuses if there aren't some already (If you blow a fuse that your refrigerator is plugged into, use extension cords to plug it into a functional outlet)
2) Ask your landlord for a mail and laundry key. I didn't get one right away because I hadn't thought of it. Not a big deal, but useful.
3) Meet your neighbors! So helpful.

No comments: