Monday, July 12, 2010

Wind-swept thoughts

Like Mark, I'm also in Chicago; unlike Mark, I haven't yet attended a Cubs game. And in fact, I may never. Old habits - baseball-rootin' habits, to be precise - die hard.

But my time in this windy city (since last Tuesday, although I've been out a number of other times) has been... so far, so good. I'm subletting a place in the Ukrainian Village (I believe they call it the 'Ukie') with a couple of former fellows; come August, two current fellows (there's just no way to make that alliterative, is there?) Mike Malecek and Andrew Kinaci will take their place. I've been out to the Millennium Park a few times - most recently to check out a sequence of free concerts on Saturday. Sheryl Crow esque rock to alt-country to classical (Sibelius' 2nd)? Why, yes, that sounds amazing.

Work (at Advance Illinois) started today; it was a whirlwind of meeting people, bantering with the IT guy as he took 2.5 hours to set up my computer, and then settling down to, well, Do Work. And the Work... well, it was Good.

One piece of work-related advice I believe I've already picked up - do not be afraid to ask questions. I have this unfortunate tendency to keep my mouth shut, out of fear of looking like an idiot. Ironically, this tendency can lead to me looking like an idiot later on. So, I've decided to "opt out" of that particular development. Today, it began with the question, "What is a 'literature review'?" A minute later I had my answer and new direction.

As with the others, I'm looking forward to hearing about others' experiences.

No comments: