Thursday, July 22, 2010

The First Project

Work at the office is progressing slowly. Data entry work is not the most exciting aspect of the job, but I enjoy learning new tricks on Excel. I think some parts of any job will seem boring, but what will make the difference is how you approach them. For example, by learning about formulas on Excel, I was able to create a budget worksheet for my expenses. Of course, when I mentioned my excel acomplishments- small ones, I admit- she looked sardonically and said, "Really?"

Work at the clinic is awesome. At the moment, I am working on a back-to-school campaign aimed at educating parents about the school year. I made a brochure of information that contained valuable tips about back-to-school. While researching the subject, I learned about what can lessen anxiety about returning to school, and I realized that this information is valuable not only for a child and parent but also a new employee. Getting organized, starting a bed time, and meeting with supervisors can ease the transition from college to the workforce.

Yesterday, I had my first conversation with a friend about the post-college experience. We talked about how at times, it seems you need money in order to have a social life. Happy hours, dinners, and movies all cost money, and even though that seems obvious, in college these things were often free. Budgeting, like every P55 fellow knows, is essential, but even more essential is making room for seeing friends and making new ones. Running clubs are free and there are sometimes public pools that are free. Being a P55 fellow is not just about public service but also about being creative one a tight budget.

No comments: