Monday, July 26, 2010

Marguerite and Jennie meet Danny

Firm believers in strength in numbers, Jennie and I met at Starbucks at 8:45 so we could grab coffees and walk into orientation at the District Attorney in Manhattan. I think it's safe to assume that orientation involves a TON of acronyms that your supervisors assume you understand. (No, we did not feel comfortable asking what PPO, HMO, or 457 stood for, especially since everyone else in the room seemed to be nodding knowingly.) Most importantly, who was this "Danny" that the HR representative kept mentioning? Set free from the morning orientation, Jennie and I were sent to take id photos for our badges (fyi: yellow lighting and a bewildered look made for a BAD badge picture; I look like I'm in a lineup). Next came the fun part. Jennie and I got to meet the other paralegals in our division (Major Economic Crimes) over lunch. They could not have been nicer and assured us that a lot of what we needed to know, we would learn on the job (not from info-packed orientation sessions). After lunch, we set off for our final training session of the day- computer training. Louise, the tech teacher, also began with a bunch of acronyms, but thankfully she told us not to fret if we didn't get them all on the first day. "I mean, I remember my first day thinking 'Who is Danny?'" she said. "Well, who is this Danny?" I thought to myself before looking down at the cover sheet of my orientation folder. It read, "Welcome to DANY." Of course, the District Attorney of New York. One acronym down, so many more to go.

No comments: