Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Week Three

This is my third week at the Heads Up! Pediatric Literacy Program in New York City and I love it so far. This fellowship has me going to ten different hospitals/clinics in four of NYC's five boroughs. Now that I have visited most of them at least once I have figured out a few things:

(1) The cheapest, largest-selection NYC grocery stores - that I've found at least - are in the Bronx.
(2) The best fruit-seller on the Upper East Side is located at 70th and 1st.
(3) If the lock on your apartment door sticks it will open if you jiggle the key before you try to turn it.
(4) Blocking in some time for "subway mistakes" is a good idea if it's your first time going somewhere. This is especially true if you are changing lines. 10 minutes is typically enough.
(5) If your supervisor always seems busy try arranging a standing meeting every 1-3 weeks.
(6) If there was another fellow in your position before you s/he can be a GREAT resource. My transition has gone smoothly because of how helpful Mary was in orienting me!

No comments: