Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Running around

Though I still haven't started up my fellowship at the Foundation Center, I have been getting ready to move into New York. The apartment hunt proved a frustrating ordeal, but my roommates and I finally signed a lease yesterday! I know that signing a lease for an apartment is something that people do everyday, but I couldn't help but feel that it was a big step in my post-college life. After finding the place, I also spent some time doing reconnaissance around the area-- scoping out grocery stores, gyms, pharmacies, tasty looking ice cream and frozen yogurt places (no bent spoon, alas). My roommates and I will be moving in this weekend.

On Saturday morning, I ran my first New York Road Runners race, which I think was also an important step in becoming a New Yorker for me! I just joined the NYAC running club, and I ran the Queens 1/2 Marathon. It was so incredibly hot! The race started at 7 am, and everyone was already dripping sweat just standing at the starting line. Ridiculous heat and humidity aside, the race was a ton of fun. I ended up winning (well, top female that is), and I was 21st overall out of nearly 4,000 runners. I'm am linking to a picture of me crossing the finish line. Please disregard the fact that I am DRENCHED in sweat. NY fans are also so great, and so many people were cheering along the race course. The course wound around the World's Fair site at Flushing Meadows and the Unisphere, the Queens Zoo, CitiField, and the USTA Tennis center, so I got to see a lot of Queens's iconic landmarks.

Phew, with all this to do who has time to work? Just kidding! I'm really excited to start up next week.

1 comment:

Dominique said...

Reilly, I am so proud of you! Of course you "ended up winning"! And for all of you blog-readers out there, I just want to tell you that, as Reilly's roommate, I feel entitled to share how Reilly was a superwoman in finding our place. She lead the charge and handled herself like a pro... even in light of my scanner issues. Reilly, you are fantastic!
--Dominique
ps: (see you in a week!)